I have to admit that it took me a while (several years) to get into the Halloween thing, but seeing how much the kiddos (hubs included) love it, I have learned to love it too. However, I think that paying $35 for a Batgirl costume is crazy, so I decided to just make my own.
What you will need
- A large pink shirt
- Two pink Foamies
- Two silver Foamies
- Half yard of pink fabric
*All items were purchased at Michael’s for just under $15.
Creating the Symbol
- Do a Google search for the Batman symbol
- Trace it on the back of the silver foam sheet
- Trace over the indentation it leaves with a pen to make it easier to cut
I attached the symbol with some Mod Podge, but then decided to hand stitch around it with some gray string and liked that much better.
Transforming the oversized shirt into a little dress
- Cut shirt to the desired length
- Make triangle cuts along the bottom
- Make some stitches on the sides to create a waist
- Cut off the sleeves and stitch whats left to pull it together
Making the belt
- Print a smaller version of the logo and trace it on the silver foam
- Take a ruler to trace the belt line and cut
Take the left over fabric from cutting the shirt, trim along the seem and attach if to the belt so you can tie it on.
Time for the cape
I just cut my fabric in half and hand stitched the two pieces together. I made some triangle cuts to the bottom and used hemming tape on the sides. With the remaining silver foam and fabric from the sleeves I created a tie on similar to the belt.
Use the pink foam and some string to make the boots and arm pieces.
You don’t have a mask to transform? Just make one out of the left over silver foam or skip it!
Time to fight some bad guys!
Thanks for the visit! Have a fun and safe Halloween!
Linking up at:
A Stroll Thru Life | TitiCrafty | That DIY Show Off | Lamberst Lately | The Winthrop Chronicles | The Blackberry Vine | Lil Mrs. Tori | Not Just a Housewife | Homework | The NY Melrose Family | Just a Little Creativity | 52 Mantels | Live Laugh Rowe | Weekend Wonders | iHeart Hands On | Liz Marie | Simply Cream and Create Living Better Together | Craft Dictator | Pursuit of Functional Home